Owl You Need Is Love!

I am Elleni Stephanou from Kenya! I am an Undergraduate studying a BSc in Ecology, and loving it! 

In late July 2012 I went for a short road trip through central Kenya. I started in Samburu National Reserve and went through Ol Pejeta Conservancy, the Aberdare National Park and Lake Naivasha before returning home. The wildlife was unbelievable! From African wild dogs to Verreaux eagle-owls, African elephants to chimpanzee - I was spoilt for choice!
In Naivasha I was lucky enough to get up close to a young African wood owl. Barely bigger than a bag of flour, it perched motionless, beautiful big brown eyes endlessly staring.

African wood owl - Strix woodfordii
The colour of their iris is a tell-tale sign to when they prefer to hunt; black/brown are nocturnal, orange are crepuscular and yellow are diurnal but, like in most areas of life, there are a few exceptions to this rule.
I learnt this cool fact on a Wednesday evening as I embarked on a bat walk around the lake at the University of East Anglia. I also learnt that there are three species of owl that frequent the University campus; the Tawny owl, the Little owl, and the more elusive Barn owl. I hope I am lucky enough to get as close to these three species in the years I spend here.
Keep your eyes peeled for them and let me know if you spot any!

A whole new world of animals and plants to discover - how exciting!

Regards,

Elleni - East African Student Ambassador

Comments

  1. I study at UEA as well, however where I come from owls are associated with witch craft. Which kind/species is mostly used for that? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia Linan (Mexican students)19 November 2014 at 09:42

    I loved your post Elleni!! I would really enjoy a bat walk around the lake. Do you know if there will be another one soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys!
    In Kenya Owls can be associated with witch craft and evil spirits. It is believed that someone will die soon after an owl hoots, as though it were a sign. In 2011 we had a problem with their eggs being sold to neighboring countries for witchcraft related purposes which led to a dramatic fall in owl numbers! Slowly this is being combated.

    Claudia, I recommend you join CAWS (Conservation and Wildlife Society). They are constantly going on very interesting field trips and excursions which I'm sure you would be interested in! Check out their Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment