A Story of a Japanese Student: Saori studying Philosophy 2

Interview


1.   Background of the student
While I got a ‘Certificate for Students Achieving the Proficiency Level of Upper Secondary
School Graduates’, when I was taking a leave of absence senior high school, I was thinking
what I was going to do for the future and career. After I have decided to study in the UK, I
was studying English and reading philosophy books.

2.  Why did you choose UEA and your course?
Since I was a little, I has liked to thinking about something, so I thought philosophy was a good
subject for me to study. As I did not want to go to Japanese university and someone I know
since when I was a child, recommended the UK, I decided to study abroad.  

3.  Tell me about the differences in three years in Undergraduate?
In my first year, I learned each area of foundation in philosophy and laugh background
information in philosophy of history. Moreover, I learned other humanities subjects which is
relevant to philosophy such as sociology and politics. I can see the relation to these other
subjects and philosophy. From the second year, the course is gradually focusing on the detail
and specific philosophers and requires deepen understanding about the subjects and the
capacity to improving my own argument more critically. Although the dissertation module is
not compulsory in UEA BA Philosophy course, I’m enrol the module. This is because that the
dissertation is the culmination of my three years, and a great opportunity to formalise my
thought. So, despite I need to take a balance with other course works, I’m enjoying writing my
dissertation.

4.Troubles of study abroad
The circumstance is totally different from Japan and I had a lot of relocating through my
university life because it is difficult for me to find the peaceful comfortable place to settle
down.  

5.  How did you solve the issue?
I have tried to ask advice to other people and I have tried to solve the issue which I have
currently soon before the new problem comes up.

6. Any rules set for enjoying studying abroad?
I have tried to keep my heart peace. And I have tried to finish study within the certain time
and enjoyed the rest of day, doing other things such as doing my hobbies and talking a walk
on campus. 

7. Satisfaction level of the course
First and foremost, I love studying philosophy! But studying philosophy in second language is
not easy.

8. Engagement of Extra activities
I am part of Japan society, Art society as well as Yoga club and fencing club. Joining those 
activities make my mind clear and it is good thing to do different things J

9. Any opinion about changes that need to be made by UEA
I would like to request to create quieter places for multiple purposes on campus because I
feel UEA has a lot of open public spaces, but less small private spaces.

10. How this degree at UEA will help your career?
Studying philosophy in English is such a strength for me to think about my career.

11.  Opinion about UEA or advice for potential students at UEA
Please try to do whatever you want to do. It is true that there have been lots of challenges,
however, staying in another county brings you a lot of excitements and makes not only your
view but also your own world wider and deeper. I am so glad that I have studied at UEA for
three years.

Thank you Saori!

Done by Yoko, The Japanese Student Ambassador

The original texts in Japanese is here 


Comments