Discovering new places in London

As a student at UEA, you would have probably made many trips to London to eat and shop. But let me show you an alternative side of London, places that people visit less or only the locals know about, or even tourist spots that are less touristy than others.

Last weekend, I visited London to see old school friends that I hadn't seen in 8 years. I even got a £3 Megabus return, so I would strongly recommend using Megabus especially since there is a stop on campus so how convenient is that.

Museums
My friends and I visited the Wellcome Collection, a "free destination for the incurably curious", in Euston. It's a gallery that explores the connections between science, life, art and philosophy. It is one of my favourite galleries in London as I always learn something new through the various temporary exhibitions. And they are presented so beautifully like how you would things presented in an art gallery. The exhibitions I viewed were "Making Nature: How We See Animals" and "Electricity: The Spark of Life". The bookshop and gift store are also amazing as they have a wide and interesting choices of books in mental health, science, art, politics, economics.

A cross section of an actual human!

Find me here: https://wellcomecollection.org/visit

Malaysian Restaurants
One of the best places to get freshly, homemade Roti Canai is from Roti King which is also located in Euston, very close to the station/tube. I would generally recommend this place for Mamak food in general, very good Roti, Mee Goreng, and Nasi Lemak. It is also very affordable for the amount of food you get: we ordered 6 dishes for 4 people with drinks and it was only £12/person.

roti-king-london-16
Proof of how good the Roti looks
 
Find me here: http://rotiking.in/


Theatres & Plays
We also watched Shakespeare's famous play, A Midsummer's Night Dream at the Young Vic Theatre which is around  the Waterloo area. It's a contemporary production of the classic and it was very interesting as they performed the entire play on the stage which was covered in soil. The production was very interesting as there was a lot of symbolism and meanings through the different like props or production. We also got it for very cheap at student prices at £10 so wherever you go, always ask if there's a student price or discount, as these tickets can cost up to £36.

The entrance of the theatre

Find me here: http://www.youngvic.org/whats-on/a-midsummer-nights-dream

Street Markets
You have Brick Lane, Camden, and Borough markets but here's one which you probably have not heard of: Maltby Street Market. Located near London Bridge, it has a fun collection of gourmet street food, bakeries, and drinks too. It is a located in a really beautiful and rustic area. There were gyozas, raclette, bratwurst, grilled cheese, steak and chips, falafel, and interesting drinks such as peanut butter coffee. Would definitely recommend to any foodies here.

An inside view of the market


Coffee Stall


Find me here: https://rae-deguzman.squarespace.com/

That's all for now, from me. If you have your own little secret places in London that not many people know of, comment here and let me know.

Have a good Easter break everyone!

Me and my old school friends

Nicole Fong
Malaysian Student Ambassador


Comments