Teaching creative writing!

For those of you that don't keep up with English newspapers (I've been here nearly three years and I still can't get all of the different papers straight!), the Guardian posted a very interesting article regarding the fairly recent academic trend of university-level creative writing programmes in the UK. As a stellar example of such programmes, the article focuses in on UEA, which boasts THE best creative writing MA in the UK. Now, I know I'm just a measly old undergrad, but that doesn't stop me from bragging about our creative writing MA to anyone who will listen. Our MA has a phenomenal list of alumni which even people who haven't heard of the Booker prize would recognize - Ian McEwan and Kazuo Ishiguro, for starts, who penned Atonement and Never Let Me Go respectively, both of which have been adapted to the big screen.

The Guardian takes a look at whether or not it's possible to teach "creative" writing, and makes some interesting points - you should definitely take a look, even if you don't fancy yourself a budding novelist. For me, it's interesting because I get to hear some of my teachers quoted in a national newspaper. After all, nothing quite makes you feel like you're at the right uni like having famous professors!

Till next!

Kathy
American Student Ambassador

Comments