Why stay here for Christmas?

Hello everyone,

As we are approaching to the end of the winter term (OH FINALLY), I think its a good idea to relax and put University aside of you. Time flew this semester with the amount of school work, adapting to your new life at UEA or even Norwich, meeting new friends, joining your school societies, learning how to cook and even for some of you, still homesick (I hope your coping well). I believe its about time we deserve our own special Christmas break.

For some of you people out there, you maybe going back to your respective countries or hometowns. As for myself, I am going to stay (yay?), but today I am going to tell you why staying here is not such a bad idea.

Many of us are born travellers, curious about the world outside our eyes, we want to see more, experience as much as we can in our 70 years of living (okay some of you may have it longer, but lets go for the average) and as young mature adults, our desperate need of searching for answers and exploring kicks in. Life at university is only for 3 years and with only 3 Xmas holidays to spare, we can only do so much. Once we start working we will never have times like these again. Spending time with family is important but with most of us (even myself) as an international student, having friends from other countries are typical and spending an awesome Xmas with them is also special.

Some of you may know, many shops and transportation closes on the 25/12 and 01/01 which is Xmas day and New Years day respectively but don't be put off by that. You could still plan something to do during that day (watch a simple movie, have a nice dinner out). Christmas in Europe is much better than most Eastern countries because it brings back to the history of when Jesus was born, therefore European countries such as UK are predominantly filled with a passionate Christmas culture (the Christmas lights, the food, the atmosphere and of course the people).

So now I got you to stay here for Christmas (ya, like i really did), now let me give you some ideas where you can travel and what you could do?

London:
As you know the capital city of UK, this place will be packed! Loads of shopping (especially boxing day-bigggg discounts), Christmas shows and Ice skating at Hyde Park! (try it, I think I'm going to go too!).

http://www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com/

To check for more events and things to do there: I recommend this website.
http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/

If you are staying in Norwich, no worries there are still many things to do, check the website below for events:
http://www.norwichristmas.co.uk/

Staying here is definitely not a bad idea, but if you are going back home for Christmas, do consider staying for the one after. London is just one place to go but going somewhere just a little further is something magical, try Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Brussels. These countries are so close and will definitely give you a whole new experience for your Christmas here. If you have any suggestions on where I can spend a fabulous Christmas next year, please do tell me!


I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, I hope to see you all soon.

From the Hong Kong Ambassador.

Max.

Comments

  1. Tracy (West African Ambassador)15 December 2011 at 10:49

    Nice blog Max! You've definitely convinced me to spend my Xmas here instead of going home :-P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment