Being an Economics Alumnus!

Insights into the life of a successful former Econ student
-and what he has to say about UEA


UEA’s Economic school has a lot to brag about with it being ranked first for academic support and 16th in the UK by the Guardian League Table 2017. To add to their repertoire, they have a 100% employability rate, a rare jewel alluding to the trying time students now have to gain employment (I know the agony as a final year student). 

But UEA and Amay Narayan, a UEA alumnus student who studied Economics, both mutually have each other to brag about. Amay received a teaching assistantship through his master’s programme and won 1st place in the Economics Department essay competition during his time here. Among his list of achievements is a summer placement with Civil Service.

As a successful former UEA student, he’s given us insight into what it was like to go here and how it has shaped his career.



In his own words, “my degree at UEA is where my interest in Economics really took shape and gathered traction. Interestingly, it wasn’t particularly the curriculum or course structure that really made a difference to me, but rather it was the faculty that I had the good fortune of interacting with. Most of the faculty I interacted with were extremely warm and welcoming, not to mention helpful, and being an international student I didn’t realise at the time how big a difference this made to my UEA experience.

From an academic perspective, I had regular coffees and other informal meets with my favourite professors discussing economic issues and current events, which really made the education I was receiving more like a two-way interaction rather than a passive experience. The flexibility of my programme also allowed me to take a few courses in the school of development as well as the school of political science, and this enriched my learning dramatically.



As a result of all these small yet significant factors, I feel my Bachelor’s at UEA was possibly the most influential component of my education thus far in terms of shaping my intellect and interests”

It is safe to say UEA is in no way limited to the academic atmosphere available. The campus’ charm lingers on and extends to other facilities, something Amay points out as well and he has this to say about how his experience extended beyond Economics.

“I look back at UEA with extreme fondness and [inevitable] nostalgia! While I know that no two people might experience living abroad in the same way, I found the change to be rather seamless and exciting. UEA is a wonderful and inclusive place, and I never was made to feel unwelcome or like an ‘outsider’ in any way.


With the Sportspark, the lake, the library, the pub and all the various clubs and student-run events, there’s something for everyone at UEA, regardless of your various interests and personality types.

I find it rather hard to single out specific things that were my ‘favourite’ things about UEA, but the list would include: forming great friends and living with them off-campus, interacting with my favourite professors, and roaming around Norwich city and the countryside (and winter runs around the lake!)”


While the vibrant Economics school dwells picturesquely in UEA’s large campus, UEA resides quaintly in the student city of Norwich.
Every student has his or her own personal relationship with Norwich and Amay shares his with us.

“Norwich, in my eyes, is the quintessential quaint English town. I know that it is officially a city, but coming from a bustling country of 1.2 billion people, I loved the cosy feel of Norwich. With such a rich history and so many hidden treasures within it, I never tired of Norwich over my 3 years there.

Make no mistake, Norwich is also a vibrant place. With theatres, football, clubs, and the annual Norfolk and Norwich Festival (which is incredible), there is always something fun to do. There are also lovely walks and buildings to see.


On the practical side, I loved that Norwich was just a short (and cheap) bus ride from London. It made international travel so much easier, and I got to know London pretty well too!”

While most schools in most universities have their own wholesome experience, UEA’s very own atypical jewel is the charisma in the concrete and the playful luxury of the view of the lake. Amay’s experience is a glimpse of all the wonderful opportunities the Economics school provides and all the incredible experiences to be had at UEA!


-Shaivya Ramani (Indian International Ambassador) :)

Comments