Campus jobs guide - real stories.

Salam dear readers :)

Summer break is over *smiling through the pain* and it is time to go back to the library and 9am lectures. I promise to write a third part for "When Asia meets Europe" blog post very soon about my summer adventures with some travel hints as always but for now I think that I need to cover some questions that I get asked a lot.
I have decided to raise an issue of jobs opportunities on campus for International Students. Usually, the question about work opportunities on campus comes second (if not first) from lots of students from Azerbaijan, Central Asian or most of the International Students who have their campus tours with me. International Students are very concerned about the applications process, how they are going to combine work shifts and studies and etc. So, I created a small questionnaire and asked my friends to answer 10 short questions about their work experience on campus (shout out to these amazing guys who literally came back to me with their answers on the same day) 💛

The questions were: 
1. Your full name and surname:
2. Birth country:
3. Area of study:
4. Year of study:
5. How do you combine your studies and work?
6. How flexible are the working hours?
7. What was the applications process like?
8. Where did you hear about your current job?
9. What are the disadvantages of your current jobs?
10. What do you enjoy about your current job?

And I hope their answers will help to clear up the issue for a lot of potential students who want to study at UEA. Meet the heroes:

Alina Maximova (Student Union(SU) bar kitchen staff member) 

1. Alina Maximova
2. Kazakhstan
3. Media 
4. 3rd
5. It's not difficult to combine work and studies as long as you manage your time accurately.
6.  I think my shifts are very flexible. The system we use allows us to allocate our availability so I don't get any clashes or anything like that.
7. I sent an application during and I got accepted. Later, I had an interview with my future supervisor. 
8. I found out about the SU kitchen through SU website. Also, a few friends of mine work there.
9. I would not say I faced any drawbacks while working there. People I work with are nice and friendly and the workplace itself is very good. I would say it's beneficial for yourself because you get to know how to behave in a professional manner in the English speaking environment
10. I love my job. It's a great chance to meet new people and build connections. Moreover, it's an opportunity to develop new skills that would look fab on your CV.
Loakim Loakim (SU staff member)

   1.       Loakim Loakim
   2.       Cyprus
   3.       Computer Science
   4.       3rd
   5.       After I know my working times for the upcoming week I have a schedule of studies so my studies are not affected.
   6.       The working hours are very flexible so for example if I have loads of work to do I can request off times, either for some hours or even for days. Also the system allows you to put your working hours for cover and another colleague can do them for you if they like. Moreover, the union only allows you to work a max of 15 hours a week so your studies are not affected.
     7.  You first apply through the union website and you explain through any work experience you have why you would be suitable for work in the Student Union. After that if the union likes your application you are called for a "test" where you do some group exercises and answer a questioner. After they evaluate your performance in these group exercises and the answers you gave in the questioner you are called back for an interview where they ask you how would you react in different situations(like if there is a harassment complaint for example) and then after they evaluate everyone you get your response.
    8.  Through the SU website.
    9. The only disadvantage is the late nights especially if you have a busy next day.
    10.   Very friendly atmosphere, the supervisors are very nice and approachable and always happy to help, very good pay!! Meeting new people, getting experience in working with all kind of people, people skills, being able to provide people with a good time when they go out.

Yana Cherdantseva (SU shop staff member)

    1.       Yana Cherdantseva
    2.       Russia
    3.       Media
    4.       3rd
    5.       I put my studies before the work, and work any free time I have left
    6.       I work in the shop and I think shifts there very flexible.
    7.       I applied my cv during the application process and went to the interview after which I got trial shifts and started my job.
    8.       I heard it from friends who were working in there.
    9.       I see no major disadvantages at my current workplace, and small ones are just downsides of any job.
   10.   working on campus is very convenient and you socialize during your shifts, as well as pay is reasonable and job provides experience for the future career.

    Joanna Sie Yung Lau (SU shop staff member)
  1.       Full name: Joanna Sie Yung Lau
  2.       Birth country: Malaysia
  3.       Area of study: Actuarial Science
  4.       Year of study: Year 2  
  5. I checked my timetable once they are published and arrange my availabilities of working in advance to avoid overlapping shifts. I use e-calendar to manage my study, societies and work but also use a diary book as a backup because if the phone or laptop is are not working, I can still have my plans on hand! After having few experiences, I’ve found my preference of working hours every week. It helps me to arrange my working shifts better. As the working hours are strictly 15 hours per week so I don't bother about being working too much either.
     6. They are flexible in general. I can choose whenever to work as long as I've set my availabilities. If I'm unwell or having some sudden changes, I can find other staff members in my department in advance to cover my shifts.
     7. I used lots of time to tailor my answers on the application forms. The questions were precise to the role and helped me to understand more about the job. Yet I got to the next stage. I was nervous at first when I entered the room. Although it was an interview, it seemed to be a fun group assessment rather than an aggressive competition. We had our group discussion following with some personality and maths test.
8. I heard it from my seniors and also found it on UEA newsletter email
9. The only disadvantage is filling up the stock in the fridges. I'm still feeling cold even if I wear long sleeves and jeans.
10. I enjoy having the ability to serve someone else. Also, filling up the stock seems like having a real puzzle game. What's more is I learn to be confident and take the initiative to help my team members. The best part is the team leaders always give positive feedbacks and encourage us to do better. I'd say working in such a good team brings me lots of improvement.

Oksana Shlonimskaya (SU bar staff member)
1. Oksana Shlonimskaya
2. Russia
3. Actuarial Science
4. 3rd year
5. Because part-time work is only 15 hours per week, it’s really easy to combine work with studies. The late nights at the bar are convenient for work as I’m busy during the day for studies and then just do some hours in the evening/night.
6. Because there’s a lot of staff at the bar, the hours are quite flexible as long as you work with the management to tell them when you can and can’t work.
7. The selection process was the application form at first, followed by a numerical and logical test, followed by an interview.
8. on the SU website.
9. Some drunk customers are very rude and messy. Some staff are very lazy.
10. I enjoy everything about it – serving drinks, interacting with people, the flexibility of the hours, the socials of the venue's staff, but mostly working with such wonderful people.

I hope this blog post answered some of your questions but in case you have more questions to ask please feel free to message me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ueaazerbaijan/ or shoot me an email: azerbaijanistudents@uea.ac.uk :) 

- Kamala Hajialibayova, Azerbaijani Student Ambassador. 




Comments