Fully funded PhD student from India

-->





Name: Vasudha Wattal

Background of the student: 

Vasudha is an Indian student from Delhi, awarded a fully funded PhD opportunity from the School of Economics in the University of East Anglia. She has done her Bachelor of Arts (Economics) from the Delhi University, then pursued her masters in the Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics and finally completed her master’s in philosophy before joining UEA.

What was your motivation to do your PhD at UEA?

I always wanted to do research. During my masters, I started working on my thesis and I really liked the entire process. I found it challenging and I enjoyed creating great things from nothing. This enthusiasm led me to work with a research organisation in India and my work experience landed me to the University of East Anglia. UEA was my first choice because it is mostly based on the area of my research interest and I felt that there was scope to develop my research at UEA. When compared to PhD opportunities in other countries, pursuing my doctorate in UK is the best choice because I could receive my degree in three to four years. The School of Economics at UEA offered me a full funded PhD position which would be a dream for any student. For students aspiring to establish their research skills, UEA is the best place because it has a lot of funding opportunities. For instance, for similar research as mine, the funding can be from ESRC (Economic and Social Research Council) or the Facility of Social Sciences. UEA has a top tier, research led university ranked in the World Top 200 (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018) and it is committed to making a substantial impact on the global challenges facing society. At UEA I get the opportunities to work at the heart of active research teams, challenging boundaries and making real advances. Additionally, as a PGR student, I can attend conferences, or other external events with my supervisors which is totally funded by the University. As a PGR student holding a University award, I am elated and feel much confident with all these aspects of funding along with the payment of maintenance grants (Stipends).

How is your Student life at the UEA?

My typical day starts working in my office and attending some classes. I am constantly guided and fed with information by my supervisor. The faculties at the University are amiable and encouraging in nature. I usually grab lunch with my co-workers which makes me more comfortable in my work environment. The Unio coffee available on-campus is my favourite part of the day. I should definitely mention this, in my 10-month journey so far,  I think UEA , with the opportunities that it has to offer, looks like the place where I could enhance my research potential. Also, I knew someone who had graduated a few years back from the same programme and had good word for the research environment. Before coming to Norwich, when I enquired about UEA among the students, I completely received positive feedback which was encouraging.

How are you finding as a PhD student?

(Chuckles) Everything is data related in my research and I am always glued to my computer. Apart from this I attend seminars, where the University provide me ample opportunities to learn and exchange knowledge. It is fascinating to see so much diversity in one place. I’m learning something new each day.

What is your future plan?

I wish to continue my career in academics. I am also open to academic/policy research with the University or with research organisations.

Do you miss home?

Not really!!! I am always engaged with some work here and I really enjoy what I am doing. I did not get time to miss home still.

What are your favourites about Norwich?

I would love to eat Indian food from "Namasthe Village" restaurant in Norwich.
Actually, Norwich has everything to offer.  Peace and quiet when you need to work, and an active city centre when you are looking for something more lively. Everything is within walking distance, which is the icing on the cake. Also Norwich is just 2 to 3 hours drive from London. London is beautiful and it is also a megacity- bustling with crowd and alive with activity all the time- which I can relate with, since I grew up in a big city myself. Norwich, on the other hand, is like coming up for fresh air- it’s a new experience for me.


Comments


  1. Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for such kinda informative post and your post looks very interesting for me.writers have great importance in the writing company because they are the ones who solve customer's problems with respect to their needs.

    Best Credit Repair Houston

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Thanks for the article! It has useful information! Recently I started learning about part time jobs from home. and I’m really excited because I started my own blog. I have no experience and knowledge of how to build a blog but it’s really interesting! Yesterday I saw an article and it seems really honest. If you can check it out and give me your opinion I will be thankful! I will start right now following your tips!
    Thanks again!""
    "

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment