Expressions British people love

Hi everyone,

I would like to share something that I started to realise after these 4 months living in U.K. It makes me laugh a lot because it is so part of the culture that most of the times it sounds a little bit "too much".

Here is a list of the most frequent ones:

-

Boom
It's for those moments you are telling a story and it ends up in an expected way but with some dramatization behind it. For example, like a guy has been seeing with this girl all over, chatting all the time, having lunch together until they.. BOOM...she gets pregnant.


Happy Days
I love this one! Jamie Oliver in his cooking tv shows says it all the time after tasting it. He usually says "Mmmm...happy days!". Sounds silly and cute!

...to be honest
British are famous for being polite all the time. So they use this expression to find a safe window to share their thoughts. The thing is that they use it a lot! It sounds like they are not honest the rest of the time they are speaking. 

...absolutely...
Another expression that sounds too much due to the fact they use it a lot. If anyone ask their opinion they always gonna say: It's absolutely lovely! Or if they feel sorry: I'm absolutely embarrassed... and you pretty much can fit in the expression anythere! It's absolutely funny!


... to be fair
This is an option to be honest without using the expression mentioned previously.
You can use it when you are about to confess something like: I didn't get a good grade this semester, but I didn't study much to be fair.


Cheers, mate
This was very surprising for me because I thought you only would use cheers, before start drinking. But they use  as a substitute to thank and to say goodbye. It took a while to get used to it and I still feel weird when I say it.

Comments

  1. This is one of the funniest article I read! Completely agree with the 'Cheers' one as I'm still trying to get used to it to be honest!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment