Presenting my PhD research at the European Parliament

Last month, I was invited to present my PhD work at a symposium organised at....the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France!!!! I honestly have to say I was beyond excited.

Here is a photo of me on my way to my presentation day...rainy day...but nonetheless finding Strasbourg beautiful.



This was my second time presenting my research at an institution outside UEA and I was thrilled to have such an amazing location and platform to do so.

I am in the Faculty of International Development at UEA and in my research I focus on understanding the higher education aspirations of Mexican young people living in poverty.

I have been passionate about this topic for a long time now and I started researching about it since I wrote the dissertation for my  MA International Development.

I was obviously a bit nervous but I have been working in this topic for more than 3 years now! So I knew what I had to say. My 15-minutes presentation was scheduled to be 10 minutes of a presentation and 5 minutes of questions and answers. The questions I received were interesting and gave me new insights that I will consider for my analysis.

For all current and future PhD students, I highly recommend to present your work as many times as you possibly can! UEA, being the great institution it is has some grants that could help you obtain funding for your travel expenses for attending and presenting at other conferences. It was very enriching for me and I felt I got some good practice and constructive feedback that I can apply for when I defend my Phd Thesis in what is called the VIVA (textual meaning: from viva voz- oral defense)

The inside of the Parliament were great and the atmosphere of being in enormous round tables where every seat had its own microphone was an incredible feeling. You know you are in a place were very important decisions are taken daily.






Also, just want to add, if someone reading me is interested in studying a PhD or has any questions about it please do not hesitate to get in touch through email or a Facebook message through our page. I am happy to help and share my experience with everyone! No worries if you are not from LatinAmerica.
latinamerican.students@uea.ac.uk
https://www.facebook.com/uealatinamerica/

Best,

Claudia Linan Segura
International Student Ambassador for LatinAmerican Students


Comments