Differences between Norway and the UK

I’ve been going back and forth between the UK and Norway for a while now. Some differences are very big and obvious, like the language and the lack of brown cheese. However, as you live in a different country you discover lots of little differences – here are just a few of the ones I’ve noticed so far. 

1)    The Post Service
Look, it seems like a tiny thing, but it’s really quite handy to be get basically anything by the next day, often for free. That’s pretty rare at home. 

2)    The Amount of Tea
It’s obvious, I know, but the amount of tea my flatmates go through is honestly slightly concerning at times. I feel like I have many hot drinks when I have two cups of coffee in a day… 

3)    Grocery deliveries
This kind of ties into the post thing. It’s just so practical to get everything delivered, and it’s easier to resist sweets and unnecessary things when you don’t have to see it all in the flesh. To be fair, this is a thing in the big cities at home but I’m not from a city, so just let me have this one.

4)    Groceries are so cheap
I’m continuing on this grocery train because wow?? Everyone keeps saying things are expensive at home, but when you see the prices here you fully realise it. The amount of stuff that’s just a pound is impressive, let alone two pounds! The amount of money I save on groceries makes me feel less bad about spending money on tuition.

5)    Cheap drinks
Carrying on from the groceries – I know going out and/ or drinking isn’t for everyone. That’s absolutely fine! However, in the case that you are interested in going for some drinks, they’re like half the price of what they are at home. (Except in London. Nothing is cheap in London.) 

6)    Campus universities
I know there’s a few at home, but they do seem much more common here. Having everything in one place instead of scattered throughout the city is one of my absolute favourite things about studying in the UK. It’s practical, of course, but beyond that it’s such a lovely social environment and there’s always lots going on! 

7)    The temperature 
I know some people enjoy the snow and the cold at home, but I do not. I love how much warmer it is here, and the lack of snow (although it does occasionally snow here). Who doesn’t love some nice warm weather? Going outside in the morning and not freezing immediately improves my day. 


Those are the ones I was able to come up with right now, but perhaps there will be a part two in the future. I hope everyone is enjoying their Easter break! 


Comments