Film and TV recommendations for lockdown 2.0

 

A television in purple lighting

As we’ve entered into a second lockdown, there’s (even) less to do these days. That leaves more time to watch films and tv series! Here’s some of the things I’ve been watching in case you need some recommendations. I also study film and TV so surely that gives me some extra credibility? No? Oh well. 


Gilmore Girls 

See, I don’t think this is the kind of thing most people expect from film and TV students, but I’m not snobby with this stuff. Gilmore Girls is the holy grail of re-watching, and if you haven’t seen it before, then this is the time. It’s as autumnal as it gets, so snuggle up under a blanket with a cup of coffee and prepare for some wholesome viewing. As soon as I hear the intro song to this show I just feel fluffy and soft. It’s like a mental warm blanket. As for plot it’s following the lives of a single mum and her teenage daughter, the quirky little town they live in and the many fascinating characters they’re surrounded by. This show takes me from cry-laughing to fully crying in a matter of seconds and still somehow leaves me feeling loved, happy and wishing I lived in Stars Hollow. Last lockdown, I was watching a season a week of this stuff (and they’re long seasons). Now I’m re-watching it with my housemates. 


Community

University life is weird this year, so it’s comforting to watch a show about a near-university. This comedy is about a study group at a community college. It is one of the funniest shows I have ever watched, the characters are messy but (mostly) loveable and the creators of this are geniuses, especially with concept episodes. A war documentary about a pillow fight, an episode taking place in seven different dimensions and a full episode about a lost purple pen: Community has it all. It does need a warning though, as it’s incredibly addictive. I watched four seasons in a week.


Midsommar

To tie off this list (which is in no way comprehensive, by the way) I’ll mention that I also watched Midsommar. I hate horror but I somehow thought watching it was a great idea and honestly? It kind of was! The film is beautifully shot, fascinating, creative, well written and absolutely worth the hype it got when it came out last year. That said, there’s no way I’m ever going to watch this film again. You’d have to drag me in fighting and screaming. I felt physically ill for most of this. And yet somehow I recommend it so if that isn’t high praise, I don’t know what is.    


Bodyguard 

Just because everything above this point on the list is American doesn’t mean there’s no good British TV. I was recommended Bodyguard years ago but didn’t get to it until now. This is just one season of six episodes, and each of them are about an hour long, so you can get through it all in just a couple days (and probably will – there’s no dragging this out, it’s too exciting). It’s got family drama, great accents, bombs, terrorists, politics, police, love stories and deaths: there’s truly something for everyone. As a bonus, the cinematography is beautiful. 


Taskmaster 

We’re very serious about Taskmaster in my house. Rather than watch the current season, we went all the way back and are currently watching through every episode of every season. With a good dose of British humour, Taskmaster is the show we all need to lift our spirits at the moment. If you (somehow) haven’t heard of it, in each season, a group of celebrities are given a series of ridiculous tasks. Tasks range from drawing a portrait of a horse while riding a horse to putting on a onesie in a small tent to melting a massive block of ice as quickly as possible.  


The Great British Bake Off

We’re nearing the end of this season of the Great British Bake Off! Just watch it. There’s baking. There’s a feeling of normalcy. It’s crucial to British culture. A few things to be aware of:

a) you will get emotionally attached to the bakers and it’s very upsetting when your favourites have to leave and 

b) if someone hasn’t watched it this week and you spoil it for them, get ready to be chased through the streets. 


Photo by Nicolas J Leclercq on Unsplash



Comments