Pasta - The Curse of the University Student

You've had an exhausting day of lectures from 9-5. You trudge into your flat, wondering how you will complete that group project for next Tuesday, while studying for the test on Monday. Oh, and there's that 2,500 word essay due in in two days time. Your tummy rumbles and you go to look in your kitchen cabinet to figure out what to make for dinner. There they sit in the corner of the cabinet, staring at you seductively. You know you shouldn't, you've had the same thing four times this week already. Finally, sighing miserably, you take out the packet of pasta and can of tomato sauce and turn the stove on.

If you're a university student like me, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Pasta - boil for 10 minutes, mix it up with some ready-made sauce and you're done. It's not bad honestly, but it's not great either. Well, I'm here to bring you good news: you don't have to live this way anymore. "Hold up.", I hear you say. "No more pasta? I'll be dead of starvation in a week.". Fear not, I'm not suggesting anything as blasphemous as that. I'm just saying, switch it up a little. Experiment. Throw some parsley on that bad boy or something.

Here's a recipe that I found a little while ago that's become one of my favorites. It may not look like much, but it's got a wonderful flavor and proves pretty simple to make for those of you who still can't fry an egg without messing it up. (No judging, I'm bad as well sometimes,)

Pasta alla Puttanesca (Try google translate that for amusing results).

You'll need:
1. Olive oil
2. Anchovies (Pretty easy to find at your local store)
3. A tin of chopped tomatoes.
4. A jar of olives.
5. Capers (This one is optional, they're hard to find sometimes)
6. Some garlic
6. About 2/3 of a packet of pasta - of course




1. Boil the pasta. Nothing fancy here.
2. In a separate pan, heat up a few tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. Chop up a clove or two of garlic and add to the oil. Stir for a few minutes.
3. Chop up the anchovies and add it to the oil. They should kind of dissolve and turn into this mushy, anchoveyish oil. Lovely.
4. Then, add the chopped tomatoes from the can into the pasta, along with chopped olives. Put the lid on and leave for about 10 minutes.
5. Mix with the pasta and (hopefully) enjoy

Note: I've left the quantities a bit vague in this because every time I do it I end up with slightly differing amounts. Just go with your gut feeling. You're an adult now, you can make your own choices.

I'll probably be making future posts with more pasta recipes in the future but until then, farewell.

Don't starve.

Chris Richardson
UEA Malaysian Student Ambassador

Comments