Time-travel...locally.


I'm a bit of a nerd, both here and in America. One of my favorite manifestations of my nerdiness is my love of Renaissance Faires - and if you'd been to one, I think you'd have to agree. Picture this: a bunch of Americans, all dressed in historically accurate Renaissance costumes, drinking and jousting (not at the same time) and dancing and selling and, essentially, pretending they're in a typical (though definitely ridiculously cheerful) Elizabethan town. Down to the play-actors hired on to play Elizabeth's royal court and the trading guilds that line the market, Renaissance Fairs take the past seriously, but in the most fun way possible.


Having been in England for the past two years, I missed my local Renaissance Fair back at home - the Folsom Renaissance Faire - and I've really mourned the loss. It was to my endless excitement, then, that I found out about the Templar's Fayre near Colchester, going on this weekend! There will be an open market filled with authentic 13th-century goods, plenty of demonstrations and entertainment, and even an ale bar, for those planning to partake. I, as both a nerd and a bit of an Anglophile, think that going to a fair like this is one of the best ways to get a taste of English history, which is incredibly rich and full of character. It's the closest you'll get to time travel, and having been to such events before, I'm gonna go ahead and say it's a million times more fun.



So if history is your thing, or you're just up for a great time, be a bit different and head to the Templar's Fayre this weekend =]



Kathy

American Student Ambassador

Comments