Antiques!


Norwich is filled with all kinds of hidden gems; the cutest little creole restaurant tucked in an alleyway, the oldest pub in Norwich under the shadow of the cathedral, and one of my favourites, the antique’s shop on the lanes. What makes this place so special is not only the vast number of very cool items sold in the shop, but the actual building that houses these collectibles. Located in St. Gregory’s church, a 14th century structure decorated still by stained glass and high arches that make it a perfect site for all the little trinkets that have survived time, much like the church itself. 
 

 Calling this place and antiques shop is rather an understatement, really, considering things are piled and piled upon each other in glass cabinets that protect the breakables from grabby and grubby fingers. It’s more like an antiques fair except it’s on every single day, even Sunday!

 
It’s a shame I’m currently a final year international student because that means I’ve only got four more months before my next big move, otherwise I would have bought all of the little porcelain tea cups and saucers (they are all so beautiful and dainty, trust me!). I’m just quite scared that I’ll break them in the move and that would be heart breaking! I currently live in a student house anyway, and really, there’s no guarantee that they’ll survive these final months. So for now, I’ve just let them go and hopefully someone else will provide them with a better, safer home.

 

Although, if I stick around after graduation and they are still there, it must be fate and what can I do then but buy them?
Anyway, St. Gregory’s antiques fair is totally worth visiting if you like old or historical things (they’ve even got things like vinyl records and vintage comic books so there’s something for most people!) as long as you leave some of the porcelain cups for me!
 
Angelika (Indonesian Student Ambassador)

Comments