What to do when you're ill

For some of us who are used to a tropical climate, coming to a cold country can be challenging. Most of us are not used to the extreme cold conditions and we often find ourselves getting ill. Being ill is such a nuisance especially since we are all trying to get good grades, attend our classes and have a social life at the same time. If you feel that you are going to be down with something but have no time to visit the clinic, here are some tips on what to do/get when you are ill

1) Lemsip

Boots does a variety of lemsips ranging from strong to flavoured. My favourite one is the lemon because it makes me feel refreshed in the morning. When I am having a chesty cough or a really bad cold, I drink a sachet every morning and night and usually my cold goes away after 3 days.


 
2. Another remdey for a bad cough is to take cough syrup. I usually take the Robitussin Chesty Cough Syrup to help with my really bad coughs, they work for both dry and wet coughs.

3. Strepsils. We do have these lozenges back in Singapore and I am so happy they have it here in Boots as well. Whenever I wake up and head to uni my throat is really dry because of the weather and I pop one in my mouth as I walk to uni to make the pain bearable. Drinking lots of water definitely helps as well.
 4. As I am Anaemic, I often feel light headed and almost in a state where I want to faint. Life at university is hectic and I like to stay fit as well. I am not really a fan of pills so instead I consume liquid Iron instead. If you are anaemic like I am you could try this out! It saves me the hassle of having to take pills all the time and also the concoction doesn't taste bad at all :) This is also available in Boots!

5. Feeling feverish or having body aches? Over the counter Paractemol has helped me so much especially when I am having really bad migraines or period pains. You can get them in boots as well
Lastly, if you do feel really ill and none of these tips have helped you, it is advisable to seek the doctors help and diagnosis. UEA's medical centre is located just off the Bluebell Road entrance to the UEA, on University Drive for you to pay a visit. More information is located on their website such as their opening hours and contact http://www.umsuea.co.uk/

Otherwise, stay healthy and eat more fruit and veg - Joanne (Singapore Intl Ambassador) :)

Comments