Tips for foodies: "British traditional food" in Norwich

I will be very honest with you and admit the fact that I didn't know there is such a thing as "British traditional cuisine" when I first came to the UK. United Kingdom is very multicultural and if we open Wikipedia and read a little bit about British history and colonisation in particular, it becomes clear why you can come across to such a variety of food from different parts of the world
. There is a huge number of Turkish, Kurdish and Middle-Eastern restaurants in the UK with my favourite dishes as well, therefore I didn't even put an effort into finding out more about British cuisine until the last year.

Well, this is something that I regret not doing as soon as I came to the UK as I lost the WHOLE YEAR of enjoying some bits of the British cuisine that I fell in love with! As I am the real FOODIE, I spend as much time as I can, exploring Norwich cafes and restaurants.

Prepare yourself for some juicy photos and recommendations:

1. Afternoon Tea. 


After I tried afternoon tea ceremony for the first time, I have been craving the Scones for almost a week afterwards! Afternoon Tea is a meal composed of sandwiches (usually cut delicately into 'fingers'), scones with clotted cream and jam, sweet pastries and cakes. Be honest, does it not make you want to travel to the UK immediately just to try this out ?!
Now, if you want to spend your afternoon in Norwich according to the finest British Traditions, head straight to the Harriets Cafe Tearoom or Patisserie Valerie! Wide selection of cakes, the softest clotted cream and amazing atmosphere will make you want to come back here again and again! Check the links below for more information about location and prices: http://www.patisserie-valerie.co.uk/ and https://harrietscafetearooms.co.uk/

2. Sunday roast. 


Sunday or Monday, I am always happy to have some "Sunday roast" on any day of the week. Traditional English main meal consisting of  roasted meat, roast potato, Yorkshire pudding, stuffing, vegetables and gravy. Yum yum yum! Surprise surprise, you can try this delicious mix without a need to leave the campus! "Sunday roast" is almost an every day option at Campus Kitchen and INTO cafe! But if you fancy to try some in Norwich town itself, check out The Town House! Attaching a link for you, foodies: https://www.crowncarveries.co.uk/nationalsearch/eastofengland/thetownhousenorwich


3. Fish and Chips


Fish and Chips is an English version of Kebab :) This mix of fried battered fish and hot potato chips is so simple but so delicious! (And yeah, British people call "french fries" just "chips" and  what we know as "chips" is "crisps" here. I guess it's something you should get used to :( ) 
In terms of the best spots, I would definitely recommend to try your first "Fish and chips" somewhere in Great Yarmouth or Sheringham/Cromer, basically somewhere by the sea shore. It will give you a proper British experience, trust me. In case you are not a fan of travelling, you can find this famous dish literally EVERYWHERE. Norwich is your oyster - explore! 

4. Full English Breakfast


Last but not least, Full English Breakfast ladies and gentleman! I am personally not a fan purely because I can't have massive breakfasts and I don't eat pork but all of my friends are going crazy over this huge portions of brekkie! This feast typically includes bacon, sausages, fried eggs, hash browns (shredded, diced, riced and pan-fried potatoes), baked beans, fried or grilled tomato and mushrooms. An old Russian proverb says you should "Eat your breakfast alone, eat your lunch with your friend, give your dinner to your enemy." I guess, Full English Breakfast should be exception in this case as I would definitely eat this breakfast with not just one friend!
And again, Full English Breakfast is served EVERY DAY at Campus Kitchen before 11am. So pop in to Campus Kitchen after your 9am lecture and reward yourself with this huge meal for turning up to your lecture!



I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post :) My email is azerbaijanistudents@uea.ac.uk and my facebook link is https://www.facebook.com/ueaazerbaijan/ :) Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or suggestions for the next blog post!

- Kamala Hajialibayova, Azerbaijani Student Ambassador. 

Comments

  1. Brilliant! Well done, Kamala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which fish and chips shop would you recommend at Cromer/Sheringham?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the exact name of the chip shop but it is located literally by the sea shore! There are stairs from the shop that take you directly down to the beach :)

      Delete

Post a Comment