The Voice of a Japanese student: MSc Development Economics 2

Interview



1.       What have you done before coming to UEA? - Background of the student
After graduating a Japanese university, I had worked at one of Japanese banks for 4 years. I enrolled my course, after I studied English in the 12-week pre-sessional English course.
2.       Why did you choose UEA and your course?
The reason why I came to UEA is more than one. Firstly, I was unable to get an offer from a university of my first choice. Secondly, UEA was the only university which I can actually enrol with my IELTS score. Finally, a senior student at my Japanese university recommended UEA.
3.       When do you feel that you made a great choice to study abroad to UEA?
As a result, I am glad that I decided to come to UEA! I have learned many different areas, not only finance. I love kind and friendly lecturers and living environment such as the campus filled with nature and lovely Norwich city.
4.       Any troubles of study abroad?

Almost always my English skills make troubles. It is not so easy for me to properly understand the contents of lectures and even conversations with my friends. Especially, I tend to lose when we go out with my friends to drink at pubs and my friends’ houses.

5.       How solved the issue?
Hmm… not easy to cover completely. But, I have tried to fill in gaps by study hard before and after the lectures. Also, I have tried to remember what I wanted to say during the conversation and to research what I should have said at the time using the internet afterwards.
6.       If you describe your experience at UEA in A SENTENCE...? And Why so?
It would be sound like… “frustrated that I cannot do my best”. I am in the ideal environment though, I feel that I do not have enough time and energy to do my best.
7.       How is your course going?
I really like my course contents. However, it is not easy to fully understand the contents and absorb them as my new knowledge and skills.
8.       How do you take a break from studying?
Cooking with local ingredients is fun! Also, having chats and going out with my friends and enjoying the greenery on campus make me relax.
9.       Any opinion about changes that need to be made by UEA?
Not only about UEA, but the tuition fee for Non-EU citizens is too expensive. Also, it would be great if PG students in DEV school can get more financial supports to conduct primary researches for dissertation.
10.   How this degree at UEA will help your career?
The contents which I study now is which I had dreamed about. Development study at UEA has a good reputation, so I believe that these two facts will help my career building in my later life.
11.   Please give prospective students advice!
Studying at UEA is not easy, but such a fun at the same time, too! Professors kindly support our study and answer any questions we bring in. What you need to make your study abroad time better is all here. Please fully utilise support systems offered by UEA and enjoy your study abroad 😊

 Thank you very much my friend!
M.M MSc Development Economics
2017-2018

Work done by Yoko, The Japanese Ambassador  

Comments