A week in the life at UEA

If you’re a prospective student, you might wonder what life is like here at UEA. It’s obviously different for everyone, and it changes from week to week, but I thought I’d give you an overview of one week as an example. I’m doing Film and Television studies in my first year and I live on campus.

Friday 
9am: Seminar in World Cinemas. We talked about accented cinema, German and Turkish cinema and how immigration and culture affect the film industry. It was super interesting, and we were in the Enterprise centre, which I love, it’s such a nice place! 

10am: Laundry time! I did two massive loads of washing after procrastinating it for a little too long… But I did it at last. Being super close to the laundrette is great as I can just go back to my room instead of having to wait in the laundrette for the machine to finish. 
11am:  Lunch! 
11:30am: Reading, reading and more reading… and also some Netflix.  
2pm: Went to the international office and wrote some Facebook posts, finished up a blog post from the previous week and wrote an Instagram caption.
7pm: Went to one of the lecture theatres and met up with my group for the Filmmaking Society’s 48hour film challenge! The goal is simple: create a short film in 48 hours using a genre (we got romantic comedy), a plot (we got “It’ll Rock Your World”) and a prop (we got a rose). 
9pm: Took the bus into the city and went to Spoons then to Propaganda at the Waterfront. It was a great night out! 

Weekend
Filmed most of Saturday, edited most of Sunday and submitted the film Sunday evening before doing the last bit of reading for Monday. 



Monday
10am: Lecture for Theorising Media and Culture on myth.
11am: Seminar for Theorising Media and Culture. We had some really cool discussions and I understood the lecture and reading a little bit better. 
Midday: Lunch! Sandwich and Netflix time.
2pm: Lecture for World Cinemas about Australian Rural Cinema. Learned a lot about representation!
5pm: Screening for World Cinemas. We watched Rabbit Proof Fence which was super thought provoking and sad. 

Tuesday
Midday: One of my friends hosted a screening for one of her films which is super cool. It was great and I stuck around after to have a chat with her.
3pm: Lecture for Studies in Film History about Hollywood and Roadshow Pictures, then a screening for the same module of “Spartacus”. 
And then I dyed my hair with the help of some friends! 

Wednesday 
I have Wednesdays off! This Wednesday was mostly just spent sleeping in and binge-watching Netflix. Sometimes you just need one of those days. 

Thursday
10am: Seminar for Studies in Film History
11am: Met up with a friend who wanted some editing help and made plans with her for next week
Studying interlude…
6pm: Editing workshop with the Filmmaking Society, one of the highlights of my week!
7pm: Made curry for dinner with one of my flatmates, it was delicious.
8pm: Went to Zumba at the Sportspark with previously mentioned flatmate. It was exhausting, but we felt great afterwards and decided we’ll go back next week. 

It’s been a while since this particular week as it’s taken me a while to write this. However, some weeks are busier and some calmer, but overall, they’re quite similar. 









Comments