A week in the life – DSD edition

Every year UEA arranges Do Something Different week. All classes are cancelled, and the students are encouraged to try something new instead. There are lots of different events on and it’s a great time! Here is a condensed version of everything I did during DSD, including meeting my parents in London and showing them around the university. 

Monday 
10am – Introduction to British Sign Language
11am – Lunch with some friends at Blend
2:30pm – Worked as an accommodation representative, meaning I showed people around my flat
5pm - Dinner

Tuesday 
10am - Filmmaking workshop
12pm – Lunch with another friend at Zest 
1:40pm – Spray painting/ stencilling – we made colourful owls!
4pm – 2 hour nap (sometimes that’s just what you need)
8pm – course reading

Wednesday 
10am – Office hour for international office
3pm – Work training 
Then packed for London!

Thursday
9:30am – Bus to the train station (which only takes 20min, I just wanted to have some extra time)
10:30am – Train into London
12:20pm – Arrived at Liverpool Street Station and met up with my parents, then went to the hotel to figure out the luggage and check in 
2pm – Lunch at a cosy French bakery 
3pm – Went to House of Minalima which is a very cool little Harry Potter museum 
4pm – Went to Picadelly Circus and then walked through Chinatown to Covent Garden


6pm – Ended the night looking around Westminster, seeing Houses of Parliament, Big Ben etc. 


7:30 – Delicious dinner at a beef restaurant by the hotel 

Friday
9am – Breakfast at the hotel
11am – Went to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens 


1pm – London Eye! I’ve been to London many times, but never on the London Eye. Was worth it for the view. Then we walked around Southbank for a bit. 

2:30pm – Went to London Dungeon, which I’ve done before, but I wanted my brother to experience it, and everyone seemed to enjoy it 
5pm – Walked down Oxford street for a bit, then had a very fancy dinner at McDonalds because we were all hungry and exhausted 
8:30pm – Train to Norwich, then checked my parents in at the Broadview Lodge and enjoyed sleeping in my own bed rather than a hotel 

Saturday
9:30am – Breakfast at Zest/ Campus kitchen 
10:30am – Went into the city, looked around, did some shopping. We saw Hill, the Market, the Forum – the classic Norwich sights.

Then we ended the night with Dominos. 

Sunday 
9am – Took my family on a mini campus tour
9:30am – Breakfast in Zest again
12am – Sainsbury’s centre 
2pm – My family went home 
Then I just relaxed and did some reading for the following week. 

Comments