Zambia win AFCON

Firstly, I am not a football fan, critic or spectator for that matter. I've probably only really watched two matches in my life and that was when Ghana was playing. Don't get me wrong, I'm also not that patriotic when it comes to football. Infact, I had no idea the African Cup of Nations was going on and didn't watch any games (even when Ghana was playing), but Sunday the 12th of February history was made for the Zambian National Team. They took home the cup and the title in what seemed to me as the longest game I had ever sat through (it being my third). The whole nighty minutes were played, an additional four minutes added to the game at the end of that, an extra thirty minutes playing time was added (fifteen minutes each on each side of the pitch) and then the deadly penalty round and still not a single goal. Playing against a supposed giant in African Football, Ivory Coast, they both managed to hit with precision for the first five or so shots and then Ivory Coast missed, I nearly fainted, I was so excited! Then Zambia missed as well, the excitment and anticipation was killing me! How much longer would this game go on? would somebody win already so I could use the bathroom?! It was Ivory Coast's shot and once again they missed, when the striker kicked that ball, I felt my heart jump out of my chest. Zambia was to shoot again, I was on the edge of my seat! Could you blame me? They made it!!!! I was at home with four other girls watching it on tv, two of whom were Zambian. I had never heard girls so excited to be watching a football match, but there we were screaming and shouting! I later found out that apparantly in 1994 the whole Zambian team had died in a plane accident in Gabon, which made Zambia's story magical. It was a good day in history and when all's said and done, I was happy to be a part of it! Congratulations to Zambians everywhere !

West African Ambassador- Tracy

Comments

  1. congratz Zambia!!!!! so proud of it!!!!


    aidy - Indonesian student ambassador

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment