Summer Internships and Other Fond Memories (LONDON!) PART 1

Hello everybody!

I thought I'd seize this opportunity to talk about my summer placement from earlier this year and also more generally about the things we all  can do to augment our learning from our respective degrees.

As a student who is genuinely passionate about the subject I'm studying, I keep thinking of ways I can enhance my learning experience here at UEA. While it is important to first and foremost focus on doing well on the particular course you are on, I personally believe that this is the more straightforward of challenges in getting the most out of our degrees. The real challenge for me has been how to then push my limits and capacities beyond the usual mix of tests and essays to get those crucial extra experiences that matter significantly once we graduate.

One of the most important experiences I do believe, are internships. Internships are vital for many reasons:
  1. They offer you inavaluable 'practical' experiences and insights into particular workplace environments.
  2. They can help substantially in providing clarity to what your plans after uinivsersity could be.
  3. They contribute considerably to the strength of your CV and your employability.
  4. They offer you access to a network of people that could be incredibly helpful later on.
So. My placement this year was in the Department for Work and Pensions, in central London. The School of Economics had posted a link early in the year and I decided to give it a shot and submitted an application. I then was called to London for an interview, which luckily went well and I was offered a place for the summer.

Photo: The view from my bus stop where I got off every morning.

I was very excited (and nervous). Not only was I keen to see what it would be like to work in the Civil Service, but this would be my first proper "job", so to speak.

So.. I shall continue this further in my next post where I talk about what I did exactly, and how everything went! For now, just remember: Don't waste your summers!!

Get that internship, even if it's unpaid and not totally connected to your course. The experience will be great, and it WILL help you immensely later on.

Comments