Christmas in Zimbabwe!

If you look around campus there are christmas lights all over. Its especially nice to see the lights at night which make perfect scenes for photography. If you go in to the city there are even more lights which are an absolute beauty to see. You might been thinking what has this got to do with Zimbabwe. Hold on I am getting there. Here are some scenes you will see if you go around UEA campus:

Dean of Students Office


The Street

Next to LCR


Waterstones Bookstore 

The Square



Arts Block

If you were to go to Zimbabwe today this is not what you are likely to see. I am talking about this on a general not individual basis. And yes, we do celebrate Christmas but its just that some of us like my family can not be bothered about the lights and the tree.

For most people in Zimbabwe  especially my family, Christmas is nothing more than a day you eat a lot of food and visit your family and relatives. For me and my family we take this opportunity to visit my grandparents who are "Kumusha" , a place in the country. We get there a day or two before Christmas. Then on Christmas we go to the kraal and kill a cow. As we prepare the cow, my sisters are probably chasing the biggest free range chicken in my grandmas' yard for it to be prepared too. Throughout the day we barbecue the beef  and some of it is stewed. We pretty much feast on the food all day whilst catching up. Presents are not a big deal and are not expected but are still very welcome. Its always good to have all your family and relatives in one place, it always creates a great atmosphere of joy.

Look out for Christmas experience this year after the holiday.

Comments