Music at UEA

For today's post, I thought I would focus on something which is very dear to me--music! As a trained classical pianist since the age of 8, being able to continue with this passion was important to me when I decided to move to the UK.

Here at UEA I have not only been able to continue playing piano alongside my studies, but I have also discovered new interests along the way! Since the beginning of my very first year in Norwich I have been a member of the UEA Choir. We have three concerts every year (one of which is a lovely carol concert), sometimes in collaboration with local orchestras or UEA's Symphony Orchestra. My favourite recent pieces we have performed in concert include Händel's Messiah (yes, the one with the Hallelujah chorus!), Beethoven's 9th Symphony and Barber's beautiful Agnus Dei. I love singing in the choir, and it's a great opportunity to make friends with similar passions. My vocal technique has also improved thanks to our great conductor Tom, and it has been without a doubt one of the absolute highlights of my time here at UEA.

The poster for UEA Choir's upcoming concert!!
Yet I have not forgotten about piano, since there are practice rooms you can access very cheaply.

And there are plenty more musical opportunities. The Music Centre also hosts a Chamber Choir, and as for student-led musical groups, the Music Society organises a variety of ensembles like a choir, an a cappella choir, and other types of instrument combination. I reckon my fellow European Ambassador Hussam participates in this society--perhaps we can persuade him to write a blog post about that? ;).

Also, if you are passionate about performing, the Live Music Society is a good bet, organising gigs around both  the University and Norwich for its members. And if you're into watching live music as opposed to performing it, you'll be glad to know UEA's LCR is a top concert venue, with names such as Coldplay, Bastille or The Kooks playing here (to name a few)! The city of Norwich also has a lot of other venues, small or large, where interesting concerts of many genres take place.

Long live music! :)

Esther
European Student Ambassador


Bonus: a little video about the Choir & Orchestra!

Comments