A Story of Japanese Student: Yuki studying Development and Environment 2

Interview 



1. Background of the student


After finishing high school, I continued to study English in Japan for six months as
well as worked at an English school in order to improve my English skills. Then I
took a Foundation course at INTO UEA for nine.

2. Why did you choose UEA and your course?

Being aware of the global food inequality, I became interested in studying
environmental science when I was in high school. In the process of researching into
university subjects, I found Developmental studies which had been taught in the UK
for and I decided to go to the UEA because it is the only university that teaches 
International Development and Environment as an Undergraduate degree in the UK.

3. Tell me the differences in three years in Undergraduate 

While my first year was not too busy, I got busier in my second year, especially in
the first semester, because I took four modules, had two different jobs and joined
in several societies.

Now the third year, my priority is to write the dissertation, 
which requires self management skills even more than the previous two years.  

4. Troubles of study abroad

Because I’m not good at listening, it was very hard time at the very beginning of
the university.

5. How did you solve the issue?

It’s taking time but gradually I’m learning how to better communicate with people
through joining different communities and trying new things. One day I realised
that I got able to keep speaking with friends, and another day I was surprised by 
myself getting through 15 minutes individual presentation without notes. Now I feel 
I’m enjoying talking in English.

6. Any rules set for enjoying studying abroad?

Not only studying, but also enjoying extra activities such as being part of society
would be great. I like to think that I’m doing the same way as what I would have
been doing in a Japanese university even though I’m in a foreign country.

7. Satisfaction level of the course

I like that I can utilise experiences and skills that I’ve learnt in previous years. For
example when I’m writing my dissertation I’d be able to apply statistics or 
research methodology used in other modules into it. However for an international
student, it was a bit hard to get used to practical classes and to understand them 
because they were not just desk-work.

8. Engagement of Extra activities

I’m a member of the UEA Symphony Orchestra and the women’s football club. I
have football sessions twice a week and sometimes I have to have intensive
marimba practice for concerts. I also work at the student union café two/three
times a week.

9. Any opinion about changes that need to be made by UEA

Union café and shop are too expensive.

10. How this degree at UEA will help your career?

Since UEA is a widely acknowledged university for its developmental study, it
would help me when it comes to taking the DEV-related career. In addition, as 
UEA and DEV are very international, I’ve been surrounded by inspiring and
motivating environment.

11.  Advice for potential students at UEA

It is difficult to get out of the comfortable zone especially when you are in a
foreign country, but you’ll see you grown up after a while, which you would never
expect that you would be right now.

Thank you very much Yuki!


The original texts in Japanese are here

Comments