The Locals


Much like fish and chips shops, pubs exist aplenty in my neighborhood in the Golden Triangle. As such, I've become well familiar with the term "local". I can think of three off the top of my head - The Unthank Arms, The York Tavern, and The Eaton Cottage. (You have no idea how English that makes me feel! =])



There are bars in America, and though having just turned 21 I can't quite attest to what they're like, I have never gotten the feeling that American bars are on the same level as English pubs. First of all, you're less than likely going to find three or four local bars in your neighborhood anywhere in America, unless you live in a very urban place. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure they have an entirely different vibe than most pubs.



Pubs do roast dinners on a Sunday, for one - I know that's been covered on this blog before, but it's definitely worth re-mentioning. I can't think of a bar anywhere near my hometown in California that would specialize in that sort of thing on a Sunday...well, except for the Streets of London Pub, which does it's best to emulate its transatlantic English cousins in looks and feel. Whether or not it succeeds, I'm not sure. I'll definitely be checking it out when I go home for the summer, basking in my new 21-year-old glory.

Anyway - the idea of a local. Having a pub - or three! - down the street for whenever the need arises. Just one more thing English thing that makes living abroad in Norwich that much more fun!

Till next!

Kathy
American Ambassador

Comments