Goodbye 2012 and Hello 2013!

Greetings from Brunei's Ambassador, Amilin!

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year. Despite the rainy (and gloomy) days we had during the winter break, I had one of the best 3-week holidays, ever.


My first week of holiday started with a Eurotrip to Venice and Paris. The weather in both cities were quite cold, but nevertheless we had to make the 6-day trip worth it. Touring on the Grand Canal in Venice and the Eiffel Tour in Paris was a must-to-do on our list. The views were magnificent, eventhough it was raining when we got there!

For my second week, I spent my Christmas and Boxing Days in Norwich for the very first time. For Christmas, I was invited to my friend's place for a dinner with some friends of hers. It was a lovely dinner, got me making new friends and had random conversation topics until late night. The next day (which was Boxing Day), I visited the city centre to experience the 'shopping fiesta' and managed to grab a few items which was on sale. (SCORE!)

The highlight of my winter break happened 4 days ago, which was on Sunday 30th December 2012. This was the day when my King from Brunei - His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah had a 'Meet and Greet' event with residents of Brunei Darussalam in the United Kingdom and EIRE - every Bruneian was invited regardless whether you are a student, an employee or on holiday. The memorable event was held at London Hilton Hotel on Park Lane, where over 2,800 Bruneians attended the event. I was lucky and managed to shake hands with the King before his departure. At the end of the day, I was thankful as not only I saw the King and the Royal Family but the event was a mini-reunion as I got to meet my other friends whom I have not seen for a long-time.

You can read more about this on: http://www.bt.com.bn/news-national/2012/12/31/hm-visits-bruneian-students-london and http://www.brudirect.com/index.php/Local-News/thousands-of-bruneians-greet-his-majesty-in-uk.html

Now, it's 2013 and I am back in Norwich - just a few days ahead before the start of the Spring Semester. I had forced myself to be back early because of the workload I have for this upcoming semester. But other than that, this will be my final spring semester of my undergraduate life as I will be graduating this July 2013 (hopefully).

That's it from me and I hope you enjoyed reading my post. :)

Take care and best wishes,

Amilin Omar
UEA International Student Ambassador - Brunei

Comments