Do you love Tech? You probably have no choice because that is where the world is headed!

Everything around us is now pretty much all tech based. There are innovative products like the MacBook I’m using to write this, GoPro, selfiestick (for the vain) lol, amazing social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, twitter, industry disrupting apps like Uber. Almost on a daily basis there is a new innovative app or company that is born. This means the tech space is highly competitive but it also means it is a growing industry with vast opportunities. The good news is that it is now easier than ever to start a tech based business.

For instance, I did an BSc in Actuarial Science but after completing it I had to face the reality that it wasn’t exciting enough for me as I felt that in constrained my rather creative and ambitious ideas/aspirations. Now doing an MSc in Enterprise and Business Creation, I am developing a Website and App, WeGotStudents, tailored to help students locate and redeem money saving opportunities seamlessly.

Here is where it gets slightly interesting. Do I have a tech background? No! Am I learning to code? No! Do I intend to learn how to code? No! So what on earth I am I thinking? Trust me, I am not that crazy, ok, ok, maybe a little bit. Like I mentioned earlier, it is now easier to start a tech company now than it was ever before. All you need if you are not a techy like myself is a techy partner. I am partnering up with some people with the tech experience.


Where do you find these tech people? Norwich is now officially TechCity approved. It is also home to some rather innovative companies like Liftshare and Servicetick. There are various bodies that bring together people with the ideas with people with the skills to bring them to life. Examples are SyncNorwich (over 1000 members), Norfolk Developers and Hot Source (meet-up groups).


Another important ingredient to hacking the tech world is to find a start up mentor. UEA has an amazing mentorship program where you can be matched with a mentor to give you one on one support. This is an amazing opportunity to learn from people who are business owners or have real world experience working in the field or industry you might be interested in.





Another catch. UEA likes people with ideas and the are willing to give you money to try your idea(up to £500) or launch your business idea(up to £3000)(seach UEA Santander grant) for more info. Great thing, this is a grant, so you don’t have to pay it back.



Tinashe Gabriel: Southern African Students Ambassador


Comments