Fall Feelings

I've been studying at UEA for about two months now, and we are currently right in the middle of autumn.  Norwich is beautiful during the autumn, all the leaves are turning yellow and red, and the air smells clear and cold, like it does right before winter.  But there has been one thing that has been missing that is glaringly obvious to me.  In Canada, as soon as the leaves start to change people of all ages flock to local pumpkin patches to walk through a corn maze, drink bad hot chocolate, and find the perfect pumpkin.  In England, that doesn't seem to be something that people do, but I wasn't going to take that as an answer, so a few weeks ago I scoured the internet looking for a pumpkin patch in Norwich until I found White House Farm, a pick your own fruit farm and pumpkin patch.
Feeling the success of my discovery I dragged my flatmate one morning on the one hour trip to the outskirts of town for an afternoon of fun fall activities.

During the autumn the main fruits that you can pick are apples and pears, and the farm gives you this adorable wicker basket and sends you out to the orchards.  I picked apples, because that was actually something that I knew how to bake with, and then we headed to the pumpkins.  After finding the perfect one we headed into the café for a (good) hot chocolate.

It was a perfect day, and exactly what I needed to remind me of home.  Sometimes being an international student means that you have to sacrifice traditions from home, but sometimes, with a little bit of searching, you can find a little piece of home a few thousand kilometres away.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post ! Keep them coming !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment